Date: Sunday 26 September
Venue: Colin’s Horseback Africa, De Tweedespruit gavel / also labelled T4 i.e. Tourist route 4, Sand Road (about an hour & a half’s drive)
Cost: R80 per person (please pay to the venue on arrival)
Bill, Jenny, Patrick and I visited this place in August and it is really lovely. We did the shorter hike, which took us about 1 and a1/2 hours and was quite rocky. After which we sat out under the trees by the swimming pool and ordered pizzas for lunch. They have wild animals on the farm, including lions (in enclosures). Horse riding is also available.
Probably most of you will prefer to do the longer hike to the waterfall, in which case you will need to have a packed lunch. You can bring your own but they are prepared to supply this at a cost of R70 per person. It consists of a ciabatta roll with cold meats, fruit and an energy bar. These need to be ordered well in advance so please let me (Sheila) know by Wednesday 22 September if you wish to order.
They have a very nice restaurant with quite an extensive menu. The pizzas are R85 each and very tasty.
GPS Coordinates : S25 deg. 33′ 23.68″ | E028 deg. 33′ 23.49“
- Take the Pietersburg/Polokwane N1 Highway, travelling north
- Take the Sefako Makgatho Drive/Cullinan off-ramp – R513 (Exit 152)
- Go through the toll gate
- Keep to the right hand lane and at the stop light, turn right (under the highway)
- At the 2nd stop light (see China Mall), turn left at the sign KwaMlanga (R573)
- Proceed for exactly 33 km. Reset your trip meter to make sure it is exactly 33 km.
- Turn right at the sign Mamelodi/Cullinan. This is a tarred road. (If you see a Shell Petrol station, an OK Food store and small shops on both sides of the road you have missed the turning!!).
- Proceed for 6 km along the Mamelodi/Cullinan tar road.
- Turn left at the green and white sign ‘De Tweede Spruit’ / brown signT4 onto a dirt road
- Proceed for 3 km, skip the blue gate on the right
- The Horseback Africa is the next gate on your right hand side. Gate is brown and has Zulu shields and spears on it.
- The gate is unlocked, just open by hand and please close behind you
Jenny is going to be away again this month hiking the Leopard Trail so please let me know by Wednesday, 22 September, if you will be joining us and especially if you wish to order a packed lunch:
Sheila: 082 744 7172 / email@example.com